- Effective Magazine Writing: Let your Words Reach the World, Roger C. Palms, Shaw, 2000.
- Just Write! Susan Titus Osborne, ACW Press, 2000.
- Writing for Magazines: A Beginner’s Guide, Cheryl Sloan Wray, McGraw-Hill, revised 2004. This one is now considered a textbook, so it is fairly expensive.
- Writer’s Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing, Michelle Ruberg, ed., WD Books, 2004.
- How to Write What You Love and Make a Living at It, Dennis E. Hensley, Shaw/Waterbrook, 2000.
- The Little Handbook to Perfecting the Art of Christian Writing, Leonard G. Goss & Don M. Aycock, Broadman and Holman, Nashville, 2006.
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, Natalie Goldberg, Shamhala Publications, 1996.
- Christian Writers Market Guide, 2015-16 edition. See details on Jerry Jenkins’ website here.
- Writer’s Market, Writers Digest Books, published annually in regular and deluxe edition (includes subscription to www.writersmarket.com). Some libraries have it.
- A Step in the Write Direction: The Complete How-to Book for Christian Writers, Donna Clark Goodrich, available on her website, The Writer’s Friend.
- Jumpstart Your Publishing Dreams: Insider Secrets to Skyrocket Your Success, Terry Whalin.
- For the Write Reason: 31 Writers, Agents and Editors Share Their Experiences With Christian Publishing, Marybeth Whalen, editor.
- Marketing for Dummies, C. Smith and Alexander Hiam, John Wiley & Sons, UK, 2006.
- Guerrilla Marketing for Writers: 100 Weapons to Help You Sell Your Work, Conrad Levinson, Rick Frishman and Michael Larson, Writers Digest Books, New York, 2000.
Grammar and Style:
- The Associated Press Stylebook, updated annually, for newspapers, newsletters, flyers. Online at http://www.apstylebook.com/, subscription cost is $25/year.
- The Chicago Manual of Style, University of Chicago Press, 2010. Also online at http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html. Subscription cost, $35 annually. New print edition coming soon (2010).
- The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style, Zondervan, 2004.
- Macmillan Teach Yourself Grammar and Style, Pamela R. Hahn, Dennis E. Hensley, 2000.
- Polishing the “PUGS” (Punctuation, Usage, Grammar and Spelling), Kathy Ide, 2005. Highly recommended by Cecil Murphey, www.kathyide.com. Reviewed on this blog.
- Committed But Flawed, Cecil Murphey, AMG Publishers, 2004.
- Write His Answer, Marlene Bagnull, ACW Press, 2001.
- How to Keep a Spiritual Journal: A Guide to Journal Keeping for Inner Growth and Personal Discovery, Ron Klug, Augsburg Fortress, Minneapolis, 2002.
Book reviews are regularly added to my blog, Blog4writers. Check this link for all book reviews on Blog4Writers. Become a subscriber to get regular updates on topics like marketing, blogging, social networking, planning, writing craft, and much more. Just enter your e-mail address in the box in the sidebar and follows directions.
Photo from Pixabay, no attribution required.