Writers speak of finding “markets” for their writing. When they say that, they mean they want to find publications to which they can submit their work. Actually, they are not looking for a market, they are looking for a buyer.
Think in terms of a farmers’ market, a place where vendors gather to sell their work. The sellers know that buyers will be coming to look for produce. Writers need to find venues where sellers are gathered in one place. The Christian Writer’s Market Guide is one source of potential buyers. Writer’s Digest also publishes an annual market guide. Both publications are also available by online subscription.
Check out these online market listings. Some are free newsletters to which you can subscribe for regular updates. Others are static pages that you can bookmark for future reference. The list is in alphabetical order.
- Funds for Writers is a newsletter by C. Hope Clark. She provides information on contests, article markets, and other places to submit your work (free version and paid version).
- WriteLife Newsletter includes call-outs for Chicken Soup for the Soul and other compilation books.
- Writersmarket.com is a searchable database provided by Writer’s Digest. There’s an annual fee.
- Writers Weekly provides a free weekly newsletter that includes a section called Markets and Jobs and general publishing industry news.
- Don’t forget your local newspaper or regional magazines, both print and online. Here’s a website that lists all U. S. newspapers. Local publications often want local writers. Usually, you can find the editor’s name and contact information in the publication or on the site.
Being a writer means more than writing books. Writing articles is a good way to get your work in print. Once you’ve been published by one buyer, it’s easier to get other buyers interested. Think of the farmers market again. Isn’t your attention drawn to the vendor who has people gathered around to buy her wares? The publishing market works that way, too.
Readers, if you know of another online source of market listings, please comment on this post and tell us about it. If you receive this post by email, please click on the title of the post to go to my site. Scroll down to Leave a Reply and comment there.
Photo source: https://pixabay.com/en/farmers-market-fruit-vegetable-988780/