All the writing pundits recommend that you attend conferences each year of you want your work published. If I could go to one each month, I would. But, like most people, I’m limited by two things: time and money. Conference costs include tuition and travel. It takes time to prepare, attend, and do the necessary follow-up. For this year, I’m looking at possibilities close to home. Evaluating cost is tricky because some include meals and some don’t. Also, the scheduling may or may not require one or more overnight hotel room in the host city.
Here’s a summary of spring and summer conferences I’m considering.
Mid-South Christian Writers Conference
- March 19, 2016 (Saturday)
- First Baptist Church, Collierville, TN (near Memphis)
- $75 (early-bird discount through 2-27-16 is $65)
- Schedule http://midsouthchristianwriters.com/schedule.html
- Faculty: http://midsouthchristianwriters.com/faculty.html
ACW Mentoring Retreat
Mentoring retreats provide “a hands-on writing experience. Ideal for the struggling writer.” Includes small group and private manuscript consultation work; professional editing and critiquing of your manuscript during the retreat; teaching on how to evaluate, copyedit, and proofread manuscripts; plus the rewriting of your manuscript several times. This one costs more, but it’s because it’s smaller and allows more individual attention.
- April 22-23, 2016 (Friday and Saturday)
- October 14-15, 2016 (Friday and Saturday)
- Guest House at Opryland, Nashville, TN
- Schedule: Friday, 8 a.m-9:30 p.m.; Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Faculty includes:
- Dennis Hensley: Author, speaker, head of Taylor University’s Professional Writing Program
- Lin Johnson: Author, editor of The Christian Communicator
- Holly Miller: Author, contributing editor of The Saturday Evening Post
- Reg Forder: Director of American Christian Writers
Kentucky Christian Writers Conference
- June 23-25 (Thursday evening-Saturday)
- Grace Heartland Church, Elizabethtown, KY
- Early-bird rates available, full cost $275 (after 5-1-16)
Others on Wish List
- Blue Lake Christian Writers Retreat, (April), Andalusia, AL.
- Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference, (May) Ridgecrest Conference Center, Asheville, NC
- Write to Publish, (June) Wheaton College, Chicago area.
- St. David’s Christian Writers Conference, (June) Grove City, PA
If none of these are practical for you, click this link for a more complete listing of Christian writers conferences for this year.
Readers, are you attending a conference not on this list. Tell us about it in the comments.